carbon monoxide poisoning that was possible caused by a construction worker using an improperly vented propane-powered tool at Roosevelt Field Mall.
Among the injured were construction workers, security guards and staff who were later taken to an area hospital with possible carbon-monoxide poisoning.
In total, seven were taken to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow, a hospital spokeswoman said, including two who will be treated by hyperbaric chamber before being admitted. Five others will receive oxygen for several hours before being discharged, the spokeswoman said.
The mall spokesman said the Westbury Fire Department found high levels of carbon monoxide in the Abercrombie & Fitch store, where the construction worker had been using the propane equipment.
Fortunately, no shoppers were in the mall at the time, the spokesman said, and mall stores were expected to open Thursday at their regularly scheduled times.
Andrew Schmitt, a hazardous materials supervisor with the Fire Marshal's Office, said only the Abercrombie store and the service areas were affected and that the air quality had returned to normal. The mall is open, Schmitt said.