Nursing Home Abuse Statistics
- 1 out of 3 nursing homes across the country have been cited for nursing home abuse and other related infractions.
- 11% of nursing homes have been cited for unnecessary dispensing of prescription drugs
- 1/4 of the aides prosecuted for abusing patients have previous criminal records and 5% of nursing home aides across the nation have criminal records.
- 1 to 2 million Americans over 65 have been abused, neglected or mistreated by their primary caregiver.
- In 1999, 5,000 death certificates of nursing home patients listed dehydration, malnutrition, starvation, or bedsores as the cause of death.
- CNN reports that just over 90% of nursing home facilities are understaffed. These staff shortages lead to increased instances of health problems, neglect, and abuse.
- Only 16% of elder abuse cases are ever reported, according to the National Elder Abuse Incident Study.